Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Sunday, September 4, 2016

FAVORITE THINGS: MERISI'S VIENNA FOR BEGINNERS



 
Greetings, friends! Welcome back to Favorite Things! 
My guest blogger today is Merisi, from Merisi's Vienna For Beginners.

Merisi is a gifted photographer, who has quite the eye 
for capturing the everyday beauty of Vienna.
Whether it is admiring ornate architectural details,
or watching the world go by from the window of a patisserie,
Merisi brings the local perspective to her readers 
from her daily jaunts around the city 
And, when Merisi asks, "Coffee, anyone?" (which she often does), 
I'm half-tempted to hop on a plan
and meet her for an espresso and piece of strudel. 
 Vienna is at the tippy-top of my travel wish-list, 
so one of these days, I'm going to do it! 
 
 I love Merisi's take on her favorite things.
 I think you will, too!
    


A Few of my Favorite Things
Viennese Moments off the beaten Path
 
 
  Early Mornings at Prince Eugene's Belvedere 
I love to walk in the gardens of the prince on early mornings - 
no matter the season -and I feel elevated above all the worries of the world. 
 
 
 I don't know if it is the location on a hill that galvanises me, 
the sheer beauty of the palaces and gardens - filled with mysterious sfinges and old-fashioned flowers- 
or my love for Prince Eugene of Savoy who employed artists from many countries 
to create such wondrous beauty, coming to us through the centuries. 
 
 
 Servitenplatz 
Same day, late morning, almost lunchtime - 
less than a half hour's D-tram ride from the Belvedere - 
late breakfast in good company, in a little square 
in front of a church. It feels like a storybook village, 
far away from the bustle of a city. Doctor Freud lived a block away, 
his spirit's still around, I can feel it, while I stir my coffee. 
 
 
 A different point of view, the church in my back now, 
looking at the Café Conditorei - pastry shop - where I have been sitting. 
The church bells will soon ring in the noon hour. 
 
 
 Yet another view of the Serviten church square, 
also from the outdoor terrace of a café, which goes to show 
the sheer endless possibilities of finding a place to sit down, 
relax, read, write postcards, in cosmopolitan Vienna, yet far from the crowds. 
 
 
 Photographed 31 August 2015 
at the Belvedere in the 3rd District 
and at Servitenplatz in the 9th 
All Images and Text © by Merisi 
 
One more reason to visit the Belvedere: 
 
 
South Facade of Prince Eugene's Upper Belvedere Palace 
In the foreground, one of artist Ai Weiwei's giant bronze Zodiac Heads 
installed around the reflecting pool of the Upper Belvedere Palace. 
Ai Weiwei's "F-Lotus" installation of a thousand life wests floating 
on the water is a work created in response to the refugee crisis 
Links:
 -> #aiww21 - AI WEIWEI 
translocation – transformation at 21er Haus, Vienna 
 -> Homepage: Belvedere Museums
 


Who's ready to book a flight to Vienna?
If that's not in the cards, the next best thing is a visit to Merisi's blog.
You'll feel like you're there!
I hope you'll stop by to say hello.
 
Favorite Things will be back on September 18! 
 

6 comments:

  1. Vienna is on my bucket list too, hopefully during Christmas. It's an amazingly beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see these fabulous photo's ...
    I visited some years ago now, and had a fabulous time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to visit this place. The architecture is exquisite!! Have a wonderful week xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, another place to put on the wish list of places to visit! It looks magical and probably is around Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all this wonderful inspiration! Happy Tuesday ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.