Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, June 6, 2016

My Summer Deck: A Few Changes






Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Are you ready for summer?
I adore summer, but this year, 
 I'm feeling a tad unprepared, both physically and mentally.

Physically, I find myself in the position of needing to lose a few pounds.
If I don't get myself under control, 
they will make a movie about me called "The Big Shorts"
or, maybe, "My Big Fat Geek Swimsuit."

 Mentally, I am even less prepared. 
This is the first summer that Junior Goo Shoes will be home since he's eight years old.
He has spent the past eight summers at sleep-away camp
but, that chapter is over, as he is too old to be a camper, 
and too young to be a counselor.
As happy as I am to have him around all summer,
I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that these 
kindergarten kids teenagers are driving!
While one of us is super-excited about this new-found freedom-on-wheels, 
the other of us is bouncing off the high-anxiety trampoline.

Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Thankfully, I can head out to my happy place to de-compress, to chill, to moss. 
I've made a few changes to my deck this year, 
 and, if I must say so myself, she is looking mighty fine. 



This season's big purchase is a new rug.
I opted for terra-cotta, as a change from the green I previously had.
The old rug was never quite right --
It was a little too sea-foamy, rather than yellow-green. 
(you can see it here)

When we first put down the new rug, I wasn't sure about the color,
but adding a bunch of green accessories and flowers
helps to tone it down a bit.  
In other words, now it's notta lotta terra-cotta. 

Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The green and white pillows are also new. 
They're from Pier One (nope, I'm not being compensated).
After three years, I'm tired of the floral pillows
but I don't want to replace them all.
Mixing in the two new pillows help to take my focus off of the old ones. 

The bird feeder that was hanging out in the garden nook 
 has been promoted to a side table on the deck.

Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The red lantern moved from the sitting area to the garden table.


Creeping Jenny spilling out of the rustic box 
is one of my favorite things.  
I used it in several of my large planters this year.

Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Empty pots are stacked inside the red metal box 
that was filled with flowers last summer.

Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Green and white caladium makes me especially happy.
Looks nice next to the green and white pillows, right?

I like to change up the jumbo flower pots each year.
This time, I used lots of bright colors.
They'll look better once they fill in a little.
 


Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

My herb garden has been planted.
Bee balm has replaced sage this year;
and German thyme is standing in for lemon thyme. 

Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

A large fern is sitting in a new pot,
and helps to "green up" the sitting area.

Summer Deck Decor | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Although I have a few physical and mental hurdles to deal with, 
I'm happy to say that my deck -- my sanctuary -- is ready and waiting.


 Linking With:


28 comments:

  1. Amy this is a gorgeous place to relax and enjoy summer. Very pretty.
    Hugs
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful setting! I too have put on a few!! Need to stop eating so much ,! Uugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a beautiful job decorating! I'm curious, what do you do when it rains? Does everything just get wet and you have to clean it all before you can use it? I can't imagine trying to put it all away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! We have covers that fit over the love seat and two large chairs, so I can leave all of the cushion and throw pillows on. We use the covers every night. For the dining table seat cushions and back pillows, I have a large outdoor storage chest on the deck, where they stay until I need them. If high winds are expected, I do bring the glass lanterns inside; on the infrequent occasions when we have had extreme weather predicted, I have moved the breakable things inside. Otherwise, it all stays where it is.

      Delete
  4. It looks so good. We used to have our patio "styled," but we took all the fun stuff down two winters ago and never put it back up! You have inspired me to redo it....as soon as my kids go to camp!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful, and today is a perfect day to get out there and enjoy it. Love the creeping Jenny. Never heard of that before, but now I'm going to keep my eye out for some.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy, your deck looks so pretty. I love the furniture, flowers and the herb garden!
    I need to add more flowers in my yard.
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J. :)
    Hope you have a nice week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it all! Do you have a freestanding storage closet for the pillows and seat covers? I'm looking for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannie Marie! Yes, I have covers for the love seat and two chairs, which allows me to leave all of the cushions and pillows where they are. We do use the chair cushions every night. For the dining table seat cushions and pillows, I do have a storage bin on the deck, and I leave the cushions in there until I need them. I can't recall where we got the storage bin - possibly Lowes, Target or Home Depot.

      Delete
  8. It is beautiful - love the colors and welcoming feel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such a pretty spot to sit and relax? Are you a coffee drinker? Do you have your coffee out there? I keep saying I'm going to do that on my patio. But I'm always answering emails first thing!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty, inviting place to relax with such a pretty backdrop too. I love your mix of colors....they work well together and for the space. Someday I will do that...I have had the same colors on the front and side porch for 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well this was a real treat... browsing over your beautiful deck! Everything is lovely, from the furnishings to the healthy, pretty plants! I'm not familiar with creeping jenny. Thanks for introducing me to it, I'll have to try some in my planters! I could spend hours "unlaxing" in this space! :) ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I didn't realize that your son had spent so many summers away from home! I guess it will feel weird for him to be home this year. If he's like most kids though, he will be busy with his friends and not in your hair too much! Ha! Your back deck looks so pretty with the vibrant colors you have out there. I'm sure you will enjoy lounging out there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks so pretty!! :)

    I would love for you to add this to my Recipes and Crafts Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks wonderful Amy. I especially love the green geometric pillows mixed in to the decor! I know what you mean about shedding some pounds - ugh! Love your sense of humour about it all. Enjoy your summer home with Junior and try not to stress - the teenage years can be a challenge ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your deck looks an amazing place to sit, relax and chill out - just make sure you do!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, what a lovely outdoor space! The colors are so pretty and vibrant! The setting looks so inviting and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your sanctuary is a beautiful spot, Amy. I hope you don't have to use it too often for stress relief reasons--those first driving years are rough, but then the worries over the driver will go on forever, won't they? I love the choices you made, gave me some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Same as you, I really wanted to drop a few lbs before summer - and now it's here, and I'm not ready!! I guess I should get my butt outside and mow, instead of sitting here catching up on all my blog friends. Sigh. Anyway, your patio looks amazing!! What a cozy space to spend some great summer evenings with a glass of vino....:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's a charming, comfortable and beautiful space and your back yard has such a nice view which I recall from other posts .
    oh i can recall the times when mine were first learning to drive. UGH. Scary, worrying, etc. Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your deck is absolutely beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your deck is absolutely beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, your deck is gorgeous! I love the new rug. I would never leave this space. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your lovely patio space is definitely the place to unwind with a few low-cal beverages - even water in a pretty glass would taste good while gazing upon your colourful plants and terrific rug. Hopefully your peace and quiet won't be too interrupted but remember, kids grow up fast and one day you'll look back and recall this summer as a special one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amy your deck is gorgeous! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.