Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Holly, Jolly Tour of New York City, The Rockettes, and Shopping


New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

 What's the first thing you think of when it comes to the holidays in New York City?

The Thanksgiving Day Parade?
The tree at Rockefeller Center?
The Radio City Christmas show? 
The New Year's Eve ball in Times Square?

To me, the holidays in New York City generally bring to mind 
too many people on the sidewalks...and traffic! 

Bah Humbug!

Don't get me wrong, the holidays in New York City are magical,
but I like to admire everything early, before it gets too crazy.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a Groupon ad for discounted tickets 
to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, and I thought it would be fun to go.
I don't remember ever going before, 
but my sister said my parents took us when we were kids. 
 I asked her if she wanted to go with me...
actually, I had to bribe her...she wasn't that interested.

"Kinky Boots, Book of Mormon, Motown...ok, but the Rockettes??? 
No thanks, I'm planning on being nauseous that night."

"Tickets are on me."

"Naaah, I don't think so." 

"Sushi at Haru?"

"OK, I'm in."

I headed into the city early to meet a friend/former co-worker for lunch, 
and then, had a few hours to kill, so I walked around, enjoying the sights, 
pretending to be a tourist, and taking lots of pictures, to share with you.

The first stop is Bryant Park on 6th Ave and 42nd Street.
Bryant Park is fabulous no matter what the season,
and it's particularly festive in winter. 
The pop-up holiday shops offer lots of unique items...

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes
  
 ...But the ice skating rink takes center stage. 
Remember what this area looks like in summer?

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Watching all of these ice-skaters is making me want to burn off some energy.
I think I'll go shopping. 
It's legitimate exercise...I call it "interval shopping:"
clothing, shoes, clothing, jewelry, clothing.
See what I mean? 

Lord and Taylor's is close by...and IMHO, they do the best holiday decorations 
of all the department stores.

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes


New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Plus...they're having a huge sale :)

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes 
Before I know it, it's almost time for the Rockettes.

"Where are you?"

"I'm in Lord and Taylor...I just found this incredible leather jacket 
and it's on-sale on-sale on-sale, and 50% off that.'

"I'll meet you at Radio City. Hurry!"

"Wait...I'm texting you the jacket - do you like it?"


I  bought it, by the way :)


In order to get to Radio City on time, I have to race up 5th Avenue...

stopping to take a picture of Saks Fifth Avenue along the way (that's St. Patrick's Cathedral to it's left)...

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

and the tree at Rockefeller Center still in its scaffolding.

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

 But I make it with time to spare.

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes
 
 The last time I was in the lobby was when we had our company Christmas party here (cough-cough) years ago.

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Time to turn off our cell phones. I wait for them to make a "no photos" announcement, but they don't, so I snap away.


New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes
 
No talking during the show.

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes


New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

House lights on, and we're out.

The show was entertaining...and there were some really enjoyable parts. 
It was very, very wholesome and sugary-sweet...
so much so that I'm craving something salty, now.
No low-sodium soy sauce for my sushi tonight... 
I need it full strength.

Some of the best holiday decorations in the city are right across from Radio City...

Like this giant string of bulbs in front of the McGraw Hill Building...

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes 
And these Super-sized Christmas ornaments outside the Exxon building.

New York City  is magical during the holidays! Ms Toody Goo Shoes

 I hope you enjoyed touring around New York City with me...

If only we could do it for real.

Linking With:


26 comments:

  1. Fun night! Thanks for bribing me to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful night, Amy. Glad you bribed your sister to go..and that you could play "tourist" for a bit. Great photos~ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magical! Would love to see this in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to do that for real!! Looks amazing and sounds like you had a wonderful time. Love the jacket!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to tour the big city with an old pro like you Amy - that's why I love these posts you write. I have to tell you that I'm quite intimidated with the thought of just heading for the big city from rural NY. Years ago my mom, sister, and I took a bus trip there for the day. It was in November so we got to get a taste of Christmas in NY and we had a great time. Thanks for sharing! The show looks awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes me want to be there again for Christmas! We did it about 10 years ago and there was a huge blizzard...remember that? Anyways, I don't remember much of it....have to go for a refresher! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fantastic! Thanks for the tour. I love NYC and have always wanted to go during the holidays. I (almost) feel like I've been now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to NYC during the holiday season for way too long! Your photos and stories made me vow to visit next year for sure! The Rockettes are so special. My mom grew up in Connecticut and every year my grandparents took her to the city to see the Christmas show. Years later my sister and I surprised my mom with a trip to NYC including a behind the scenes tour of Radio City Music Hall and the chance to meet a Rockette in person. Such a special memory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked spending some time in New York with you, going shopping with you... and I was a good girl, I didn't spend a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a awesome post and thanks for taking us on a virtual tour of NYC during the Holidays! It's such a treat, not to mention a nice change of pace & breath of fresh air from all the craft projects and 'How to Farmhouse' everything in your home that is out there in Blogland. Happy Hanukkah to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved going to NYC with you. I've never been and have heard how beautiful it is at Christmas. I bet the Rockettes were fun to watch. I'm not a fan of large crowds and traffic either so it was nice to tour it while sitting in my home in front of the computer! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We get into New Your a few times each year and always go right before the Christmas tree is lit since I use a cane and canes and crowds in midtown are not a good match.. My dad grew up in Manhattan so it is always fun to return and remember all the fun things we did when I was a child. We continued the tradition with our own kids and hopefully some day with our grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see the goings on and decoration in NY, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this! I lived all my life in Brooklyn, NY, until two years ago when my husband and I moved to Colorado to be close to grandchildren and our children. It was the best decision we ever made, but I do miss a lot about the Big Apple and the Christmas there! I loved all your photos! Yes--you were very wise to visit before the crazy crowds start to accumulate the week or so before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely magical! Thank you for sharing ... it would be so fun to walk through NYC this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely christmas decorations and the christmas atmosphere. Happy Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing & wonderful images! Please drop by and share at http://www.image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2014/12/a-holiday-recipe-for-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I definitely enjoyed it. The decors are grand, show was marvelous. I also don't like getting caught up with the crazy bustle during the peak of the season although I like the festive feeling it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just did it for real. We got back last night. We saw the tree, and the giant ornaments and the giant Christmas lights. We did that Saturday and would you believe it rained ALL day on us? I had the most wonderful time. My son is adjusting well -saved me from getting killed by a taxi. We stayed in Little Italy and had the best cheese cake. Look for my post soon.
    I wish now we had done the Rockettes. I haven't done that since I was a kid. Thanks for taking me back.
    I got a little choked up flying in and seeing the city lights. I love N.Y.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my that looks so fabulous and Fun Amy! I have never been to NYC around Christmas time and I sure would love to someday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Amy, I did enjoy it. and the sights! Thank you for the tour. BTW the jacket is really nice and looks great. I am glad you bought it. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never been to NY during the holidays. Thanks for taking me there today! Hope to see you again Thursday at The weekend Social, 9:00 PM EST. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amy, I can't wait to go back in December!!! I hope you don't mind - I'm linking this up to my NYC trip post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This makes me sad I won't be in NYC for Christmas this year ... Dallas just isn't the same! Lord & Taylor always has my favorite windows, too. Hopefully, you'll get some photos of this year's decorations so I can live vicariously through you! ;)

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.