Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

Where do you like to put your feet up to relax?

In our house, it's the den. 


In fact, if you need to find Mr. Goo Shoes and I on Sunday nights this summer, that's where you should look. We'll be watching True Blood.

Although we think the series has passed its prime, we still are faithful viewers.

It's still got some pretty scary vampire stuff going on...

…which makes it kind of fitting to be watching it in our den, because, prior to its makeover, it was a pretty frightening room.

The very first time I saw our house, I walked through the front door, and said, "we'll take it!" The former owners did a good amount of renovation on the first floor, and I loved what they did. 


From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

I couldn't wait to see the upstairs. 

OH MY.  

It was like we were in a totally different house. 

A HORROR.

More terrifying than running into a vampire in Bon Temps. 

Mr. Goo Shoes was ready to walk right out, but it didn't scare me away. 

And, besides, there was that gorgeous, private backyard.  

Somehow, I convinced Mr. Goo Shoes that the upstairs had potential.

"Potential" in this case involved totally gutting the entire upstairs, down to the studs.  Yes, it was…

 THAT BAD.

It's hard to pick which of the upstairs rooms was the worst of the lot, but the room off the master bedroom was definitely a contender. I have no idea what the former owners used it for. 

I don't want to know.

It had dark, paneled walls and a filthy red carpet. 

It was…
A DUMP. 

This is the Way Before:


From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com
I am laughing hysterically that I watermarked this. As if anyone would want it!


When we moved in, we ripped out the paneling; painted, and put in a beige carpet, and called it our…er, office. 

It was only slightly less horrifying than the Way Before. 


From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com



From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com


I am cringing, as I look at these. I truly forgot just how awful it was. 

After living in the house for awhile, we decided to make a master suite. The Dump was about to be transformed into a Den. 

You can see (above) on the far left side, there is a door, two steps and a little wall. 

We ripped out the door, and the wall…


From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

 …ripped out the steps, and put French doors in the center, with wider steps.  

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com


Now the dilemma was how to furnish it. I worked with a designer at Ethan Allen. If you buy even one piece from them, their design services are free. We had worked with Cheryl many times before, and she had our style down pat. 

It was an awkward space, and we were clueless. All we told Cheryl was that it had to be cozy and comfy. 

I think she nailed it.


From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

The only things Cheryl didn't select were the TV console (it's from Pottery Barn), and the wallpaper. She had picked a fabulous Ralph Lauren black and white plaid, and on the day that we placed the final order…we learned it had been discontinued!

I had a minor meltdown in the store. Cheryl couldn't find anything else that would work. 

I was on my own. 

No pressure…

The worst that could happen was that I would pick the wrong thing, and ruin the entire room. 

I went to a local wallpaper store and found this gorgeous beige and black grasscloth. 



Honestly, I like it better than the original plan.


From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com



Once again, Way Before:

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

And After: 

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

And from the other angle, a slightly improved Before:

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

And After…

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com

It's hard for me to believe it's the same room. 

Mr. Goo Shoes thinks it is his man cave.

But, I like it, too.

From Dump To Den: Way Before and After by mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.com
Linking to:
Suburbs Mama Sunday Linky Party
Nifty Thrifty Things Nifty Thrifty Sunday
By Stephanie Lynn Sunday Showcase Party
Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
BeBetsy  and VMG206 Brag About It Tuesday
Love Grows Wild Time To Sparkle Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday 
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays
Serenity Now Blog for Weekend Bloggy Reading Fridays

Till next time,

Ms. Toody

21 comments:

  1. My husband always liked this room the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that just makes this space even more special to us :)

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous, warm, comfy room. I'd never want to leave it! I laughed at your post title; very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, you really had your work cut out for you. But you did it up right. You really transformed these problem areas. Great job. I love the French doors and the way you redid the walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail! I'd love to paint the French doors black, but hubby won't go for it!

      Delete
  4. I'd be spending a whole lot of time there too - what a cosy room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I don't spend as much time as I'd like to in there... too busy blogging ;)

      Delete
  5. What an amazing transformation! I love the cozy factor of the room. The dark fabrics and traditional furniture makes it very functional and classic. I love the french doors leading into it. This room will stand the test of time. I love the grasscloth wallpaper too. I think it's the perfect companion to the furnishings of the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I'm definitely a traditional kind of girl...and hope it never goes out of style!

      Delete
  6. I l-o-v-e that leopard ottoman. You guys have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne! The ottoman is one of my very favorite things in my house.

      Delete
  7. Such a gorgeous room Miss Amy. Love the walls, very cool! Cute tootsies too. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! You are the first to comment on my tootsies, which made me smile! Happy 4th to you!

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a transformation. Love the textured wall paper. The room is so warm and cozy now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hard to believe it's the same room! I hate when you get your heart set on a plan and then one of your design elements becomes unavailable- great alternative, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always works out for the best, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by, Tina.

      Delete
  10. I am partial to secretaries and that one is just gorgeous. It looks like a great place to watch t.v. The wallpaper is wonderful, timeless and so classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love secretaries, too. I have another one downstairs that we bought ages ago. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. I love the transformation you did in your new house! My favorite would be the white French door; as it added character to your living room! Are you done with the renovations though?

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.